Home | About | Contact | More | More

Oregon State University, home of the Beavers.

While my husband was at school last year and I was in town, I would go and watch the Oregon State Football team practice.  Practice is open to everyone, just don't bring your video cameras as not only will they ask you to quit I will be the one tackling your ass to the ground. 

Now let us back up a bit about my devotion to the Beavers and why I am such a fan.  I know nothing about American Football.  I know what a touchdown and a tight end are so I think I have my bases covered.  Going to a football practice can be intimidating.  There were quite a few people watching, everyone had their chairs and discussing amongst themselves about the new players.  I am still trying to figure out the language, football language that is, and I am a little iffy on the term 'red shirt', but I am sure I will get the hang of it one day.

As I was sitting by myself trying to figure out the plays, a woman next to me introduced herself and then proceeded to introduce me to her friends and so on and so on.  It was a great day and it was again confirmed to myself that this is where I wanted to live.

I took some photographs of the practice and yes, I did ask permission.








On a Thursday evening during the football season Beaver Sports Talk takes place at McMenamins and you have the opportunity to meet the various coaches. 

I was fortunate to meet Coach Mike Riley.  What a very humble man.  I only spoke with him for a few minutes and not once did he glance around the room to see if there was someone more important than little ol' me who knows nothing about football. 

I congratulated him on what a great job he is doing as the Coach to which he answered that without the devotion and drive of the entire team, doing a great job would not be possible.  I truly walked on air going home because I had finally met someone in the football world who was not about their ego. 


If you are around during the summer when practice starts, bring your camping chair, some coffee and come join us support these young men.  It is free and a great way to meet other people, especially if you are new to the area. 

Come on over and say hi, I will be the one in orange and black.

No comments:

Post a Comment